Region 10 Education Service Center is one of 20 regional service centers established by the Texas State Legislature in 1967 for the purpose of providing services to the school districts within a defined geographic region. Region 10 Education Service Center, located in Richardson, provides services that impact more than 650,000 students and 53,000 educators in 80 public school districts, 31 Charter Schools, and numerous private schools in the 8 counties (and portions of a 9th) in north Texas that comprise the Region 10 Service Area.
One of the key services provided by Region 10 are continuing education and professional development courses for administrators and staff within their area. This means creating, delivering and supporting 1000s of workshops, seminars and classes each year.
Region10 had been using legacy software to manage the creation, management and registrations for their events. The code base was difficult to maintain and Region 10 was not able to leverage new technologies as they became available.
The overall goals for the project included:
- Improve the overall user experience
- Integrate a flexible, scalable content management system
- leverage open source technologies that would allow Region10’s internal development team to contribute to supporting the site
- Implement a user-friendly Commerce platform that integrated into the CMS, and allowed Region 10 to more effectively manage events and event registrations.
After careful review and evaluation, including an extensive Engineering process with the team at ten24, Region 10 chose to implement Slatwall Commerce. This solution provides site administrators with the flexibility to manage events more effectively and efficiently:
- Create new event locations
- Set-up start and end times for events
- Create buffer times for set-up and breakdown of each event based on the Location and the configuration,
- Generate reports for facility managers
- Take attendance for events
- Bundle event products together to sell at a single price
- Manage wait lists
- Allow users to create events on the front-end, including a search for available rooms based on event date and attendance requirements
- Set-up automated email communications
- Authenticate against an existing Active Directory of users
Adopting the Slatwall platform provided Region 10 with a modern, web-based platform and an architecture that will allow the organization to scale. It also provides the key reports R10 needs to evaluate the effectiveness of certain courses, scheduling patterns and price points.Show Gallery